With Halloween just around the corner we have been inspired to add a new flavour to our ghoulish dog treat collection. Not only can you buy these Day of the Dead gingerbread in our store and online but we thought we would share a version of the recipe for you to try at home. Plus on Saturday 28th October we will have Day of the Dead inspired masked for your dog to be photographed in, along with samples of the treats.
1.Pre heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper
- Cut the butternut squash in half and roast in the oven for 30/40minutes until soft
- In a bowl shift together the flour and ginger
- Once the butternut squash has cooled down, scoop out the flesh from one half and add to the flour and spice mix (The over half can be frozen and used at a later date)
- Add the molasses and using your hands start to combine the ingredients while adding water to form a firm dough, adding more flour if the mix is to wet
- Lightly flour a clean surface
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to the same thickness as a pound coin.
- Once rolled use your novelty cookie cutters to cut out the different Halloween inspired shapes
- Place the cut biscuits onto the lined baking tray making sure to leave 1cm gap between each biscuit
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and no longer soft to touch
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool – please make sure the biscuits are completely cooled before giving to your dog
Keep the biscuits in an airtight container for 5-7days